Sunday, April 5, 2009

Postcard 10, based on Sean Condon’s book discussed in Subgenre presentation: My dam life

Dear Rosalie,

How have you been? Have you already read the book I told you about?
The book about the Australian guy who lives in the Netherlands for three years?
I just finished the book yesterday and the author still ticks me off. I just can’t believe how some arrogant Australian guy writes a book about our great country and says that pretty much everything sucks in the Netherlands. The thing is: before moving to the Netherlands, he was already complaining. But what did he expect then? You should always visit a country as open minded as possible! From the first page the guy is complaining about the food, the Dutch people, their habits, the Dutch mentality when it comes to jobs, the weather (ok, I get that), saying we are not raising our childeren properly, saying that Dutch people are very stubborn or too honest, etc. How can a person be too honest? I have never met a ‘too honest’ person, have you? Oh wait, maybe I have. I personally think that his author is being too honest, plus he is wrong, of course! There is one thing I do like about the book and the auothor. In the end, when he ‘finally’ gets to go home to Australia, he finds out that there are quite some things he’s gotten used to in our small country and there will even be some things that he is going to miss back in Australia. Unfortunately, these things were just small things like the ‘hagelslag, frikadellen and the patatje met’, but hey, at least it’s something he’ll be missing. So what is your opinion on this book? Do you feel sympathy for the author, or the actual opposite?
I am thinking of writing the author a letter. He doesn’t seem very objective towards the Netherlands in the first place and I don’t like the fact that he says all these bad things about our country. If many people will read this book, they won’t feel like coming to our country and that shouldn’t be the case! It’s just one man’s opinion. What do you think? Should I write Sean a letter? Let me know!!

Love,

Lonneke

No comments:

Post a Comment