Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Postcard 6 based on article by Rosalie: a Real Dutch Treat: Holiday on a Houseboat.

Dear Menno,

How have you been lately? Have you still got plans to visit me during my Europe trip? I would love that! At this moment I am staying in the strangest country ever, I am staying in the Netherlands. I have only been here for 2 days now and I can already recommend this country as a holiday country, unless you find the weather very important. My goodness, it is so cold and windy all day long! I feel like I don’t know what clothes to put on since it always seems too cold! Despite the weather, there are plenty of nice things to see. First of all, I noticed that most houses in the Netherlands seem well built and goodlooking. And the Dutch people are extremely tall. I can’t remember ever seeing so many tall people in 6 days. I first arrived in Amsterdam late in the evening, and it seems that Amsterdam is always alive, no matter what time it is. The streets were filled with (again, enormous) people and pubs were opened till early in the morning, which is new to me, as you might know too. As I looked around, there also seemed to be a lot of people from different kind of countries, or so I thought. Dutch people are known as tall people with blond hair and that is not the only thing I saw: I saw all kinds of nationalities and they didn’t seem to bother about it. It was a great sight. I looked up some hostel and went to sleep. As I woke up, I decided I wanted to see the city first. It is not the sights themselves that make the city so pretty. It’s the atmosphere, the fact that people seem relaxed and the musicians on the street that make it so nice to walk through Amsterdam. I am planning on staying in Amsterdam for the next three days and then I will head towards Utrecht, which seems to be quite similar to Amsterdam, but smaller. I am looking forward to exploring this country. If I decide to stay here for quite a while, you might consider visiting me over here? Let me know! I will keep you posted!
Love,

Lonneke

No comments:

Post a Comment