Monday, March 2, 2009

Postcard 3, based on presentation by Anneke

Dear Rosalie,

A couple of days ago I received a postcard from Anneke, who is travelling around in Poland at the moment. Can you still remember her? She was at my birthday, you had been talking to her for quite a while when I was making dinner in the kitchen. Now, here’s the thing. She seems to not be enjoying herself in Poland. She only had negative things to say about the country; the Polish people did not like foreigners, they were only being rude and there was nothing left to do in the town they were staying. Everything seemed old and dirty and public transport was really bad. Now, we all have the right to our own opinion and we do not have to agree on everything, but somehow her postcard ticks me off. As you know, I have been to Poland many times and I have never had any experiences like the ones she described on her postcard. I suppose we should all keep in mind that Poland is and Eastern European country and if you head towards Poland with the same expectations as you would have about France, disappointment is absolutely inevitable. I always used to have the best times ever, mainly because of the friendly Polish people, the lovely country sides, the great towns and its pubs and I never had one bad experience. I might not be completely objective, since I have always been travelling to Eastern European countries so I know exactly what to expect. But I also know how to compare because I have been to countries like France, Spain and Italy too. I know that Eastern European countries are different, but they are just as beautiful and a lot more interesting than all Western countries as far as I am concerned. Can you imagine that I felt a bit insulted by her postcard? I would want everyone to go to Poland, instead of not going. The country should not be put in a bad daylight, because that is not what it deserves.

Love,

Lonneke van Holland

No comments:

Post a Comment